5 Varietal Cocktails That You Would Like To Drink
Prawn cocktail also known as shrimp cocktail is a seafood dish consisting of shelled cooked prawns in a Marie Rose sauce or cocktail sauce served in a glass. In the United Kingdom the invention of the Prawn Cocktail is often credited to British television chef Fanny Cradock in the 1960’s In North America the sauce is usually referred to as cocktail sauce and is essentially ketchup plus horseradish.
The chef Heston Blumenthal states that prawn cocktail is his secret vice he television chef and writer Delia Smith states that the best version is with prawns that you have cooked yourself and that in the 1960s it was something simple but really luscious yet over the years it has suffered from some very poor adaptations not least watery prawns and inferior sauces recipe includes garlic, cucumber, mint, salad cress and crab meat which demonstrates the versatility and adaptability of the basic concept.
- Brandy Sour or Brandy Daisy – brandy clear or orange curaçao, sugar, lemon juice, shaken and strained into a wine glass.
- Cypriot Brandy Sour: Cyprus brandy, lemon cordial and bitters, stirred in a tall glass, and topped with soda or lemonade.
- Santa Cruz Sour: Santa Cruz rum, sugar, lemon juice, shaken and strained into a wine glass.
- Midori Sour: Honeydew melon liquor, grenadine, lemon juice. Poured properly it resembles a green Tequila Sunrise with visible layers.
- Caipirinha: Cachaça, sugar, lime, ice in an Old fashioned glass.
Clover Club Cocktail
The Clover Club Cocktail is a cocktail consisting of Gin, Lemon Juice, Raspberry Syrup and an egg white. The egg white is not added for the purpose of giving the drink flavor but rather acts as an emulsifier. Thus when the drink is shaken a characteristic foamy head is formed. The drink seems to have been forgotten partly due to the use of raw egg in the cocktail which many people shy away from and partly due to the complexity of its preparation several sources recommend that the drink be dry shaken with one source suggesting this be done for at least a minute. At this point Ice should be added to the shaker to chill the drink. There are several variations of this drink with the most common replacing the raspberry syrup with grenadine or red currant syrup.
The Bacardi cocktail is an IBA Official Cocktail made primarily with Bacardi Superior. It is served as a “pre-dinner” cocktail.
Modern Bacardi Cocktail Recipe:
- 1 oz Bacardi Rum (usually Bacardi Superior)
- 1/4 oz Grenadine
- 2 oz Sweet & Sour Mix
Shake & strain into a cocktail glass, and add a lime wedge garnish.
- 1 drink Bacardi Rum
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 dashes Gum Syrup
Shake well in a mixing glass with cracked ice, strain and serve.
Bacardi Cocktail aka Daiquiri:
- The juice of half a lemon.
- Half teaspoonful granulated sugar.
- 1½ oz. of BACARDI White.
Mix thoroughly then shake well in cracked ice. May be served strained or unstrained.
- Important: Do not alter the order of the ingredients.
The Sidecar is a cocktail traditionally made with cognac, orange liqueur and lemon juice. In its ingredients the drink is perhaps most closely related to the older Brandy Daisy which differs both in presentation and in proportions of its components.
It is one of six basic drinks listed in David A. Embury’s The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks.